Your HVAC system is one of the most important systems in your home. It provides you with reliable comfort all year long. When your heating or cooling system unexpectedly breaks down, not only does your home become uncomfortable but you are also left wondering if the system will need to be replaced.
It’s important to understand what kinds of issues are repairable and which ones mean you need a replacement. Knowing more about your HVAC system will leave you less vulnerable to dishonest companies that may overcharge.
Continue reading to find out whether your HVAC system needs to be repaired or replaced. If you are ready to schedule an appointment with a reliable Cedar Hill air heating and air conditioning company, call Dial One Johnson Plumbing, Cooling and Heating at (469) 240-5618.
Common, Repairable HVAC Issues
If your heating system is showing signs of damage, then it’s possible that you may require a repair or replacement. There are a few ways that you can figure out whether or not it is time for a replacement. Be sure to contact a technician that you trust so that you can save money and get the best service.
Before you become concerned about the costs of heating replacement, you may want to try to determine if the problem is repairable. There are many common heating system issues that are repairable. They include:
- Improperly installed equipment: it’s incredibly important for heating systems to be installed correctly. When heating systems are installed they should be sized and calibrated. If they aren’t calibrated correctly then they can easily break down. High gas bills can be a sign that your system has not been properly calibrated.
- Damaged blower motor: the blower fan helps to move the heated air into the ductwork and through the vents. If the motor fails, then the heater will not be able to move the air into your home. Your entire HVAC system may break down or you may notice that your air is not warm. The solution to this issue is as simple as a blower motor replacement.
- Dead capacitor: the capacitor gives your heating system the energy that it needs to start up. If the capacitor is dead then your system may not be able to start. This can be fixed by replacing the capacitor.
- Damaged starting components: when it comes to heating systems, there are a few parts that help to start the system other than capacitors. For example, a dead or dirty pilot light could keep your furnace from turning on. Some of these issues can become dangerous. A professional technician can help to replace or repair many of these parts.
- Cracked heat exchanger: the heat exchange transfers heat to one part of your system to another. If it develops cracks, your system can fail or become inefficient. Cracked heat exchangers can also become dangerous and leak carbon monoxide. A technician can replace the heat exchanger and fix the issue.
Air conditioning systems can develop damage as they are used over time. In some cases, damage does not always mean that the system has to be replaced. Here are some of the most common, AC repair issues that you may come across:
- Blown thermostat fuse: if the fuse connected to your thermostat becomes damaged, then your system may stop producing cool air. A professional technician will be able to replace the fuse so that your thermostat can communicate with your air conditioner once more.
- Blocked condensate line: the condensate drain collects the water that forms from your air conditioner. If the drain becomes clogged and overflows, the wet switch will turn your system off to avoid short circuiting any wires. All you have to do is call a technician to unclog the line.
- Low or leaking refrigerant: if your system begins to run low on or leak refrigerant, your system may begin to perform poorly. In some cases your system may even stop working. If it has a low refrigerant, the technician only needs to refill it and if the system has a leak, the technician will need to repair the leak.
- Dead capacitor: the capacitor helps start your cooling system. If it dies or becomes damaged your system may not be able to start. A professional will be able to recharge or replace the capacitor so that it can continue starting your system.
- Electrical issues: many air conditioners are electrical. If your breaker box becomes damaged through a power surge, short circuit or other damage, your air conditioner may stop working. This kind of repair should be left completely to professionals as there are safety risks associated with electrical work.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Heating or Cooling System
While many heating and cooling issues are repairable, some systems may just be too old or too damaged to continue providing comfort. Take a look at a few signs that you may need to replace your system:
- R-22 refrigerant: older air conditioners use R-22 refrigerant. In 2019, the EPA banned the production of this refrigerant. While air conditioners that previously used it can still continue to use it, R-22 is more expensive than other refrigerants.
- 15 years or older: if your HVAC system is 15 years or older, then you may want to consider replacing it. Some homeowners find that their system works perfectly fine after 15 years with regular maintenance and upkeep. Others may find that at 15 years their system will become slower, less efficient, more expensive and require more repairs.
- Frequent repairs: when systems become older and less efficient they also begin to require more repairs. If you notice that you are having to call your HVAC technician every six months or less, then it is time to replace your system. You will save time and money by replacing it rather than by repairing it over and over.
Some homeowners also choose to replace their HVAC system if they have growing safety concerns or mounting energy bills. Whatever your reason for replacing your system, be sure to determine whether it can be repaired first.
HVAC Cedar Hill, TX Repair and Replacement
For quality HVAC repair and replacement in Cedar Hill, Texas, you need Dial One Johnson Plumbing, Cooling and Heating. Our team of professionally trained technicians are ready to help you with any issue. From maintenance to installations we can provide a variety of services for all kinds of systems.
If you are struggling to determine whether your heating or cooling system requires a repair or replacement, we have got your back.
To get in contact with one of our certified technicians, give Dial One Johnson a call at (469) 240-5618 or head to our website: https://dial1plumbing.com